Thursday, June 17, 2010

Blast from the Past: Prehistoric Forest

Remember this?

What about this one?

There's no way you could have forgotten this touching scene.


See, look how nice-- the predator is protecting the prey while they sleep! Awww...

In case you lived a sheltered life, all these pictures are from the now-defunct Prehistoric Forest in the picturesque Irish Hills (also known as Creepyville USA). This was my absolute favorite place on the planet (besides Disney World) as a child, because it made me feel smart to point out what the name of every dinosaur was, as well as the sculptural mistakes.

Originally built in 1963, Prehistoric Forest was basically a train tour through 8 acres of plaster cast dinosaurs, dodo birds and saber toothed tigers. And, or course, there was a gift shop.
I was probably 4 or 5 when I made my first- and only- visit to the Forest, well after its heyday. I remember the dinosaurs' paint peeling, overgrown bushes, and a general air of tackiness. But I loved it anyway.

Let's take a look-see at how far the park has fallen from grace:

This is a wooly mammoth at Prehistoric Forest, circa 1970 something. Note the oh-so-realistic chain link fence. Overall, however, he's looking pretty good.

The same wooly mammoth, 30-ish years later. I believe this was taken after the park closing, which may account for some of the wear and tear; but you can't see evidence of any of the fancy landscaping in this photo, or even the other dinosaur.

Such a shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment